Monday, May 4, 2009

Politics in Vernon, NJ

I was home to work this weekend.  As I was driving around my town of Vernon, NJ, it struck me what a huge joke politics are in my town.  In various yards I saw signs in people's yards in support of different candidates for town council.  I wondered who actually lived in those homes.  Did they really care what was going on, or are they just friends of the candidate?  The candidate that I saw the most signs for is currently President of the Town Council.  He signed a bill that promised my town a main street.  Well, it was passed and millions of dollars of construction and road work later, they found that the site goes through an Indian burial ground and that by law, they are not allowed to build on it.  I live in a tourist town.  Every summer and winter, people flock to Mountain Creek for the water park or ski slopes.  Main Street was supposed to have tons of cute little shops and restaurants to attract both locals and the visitors.  It was supposed to be something to build up the economy of my town.  Now, I live in a place with a Main Street that has nothing on it.  A place where the budget is gone and there was not enough rock salt to protect the people from the ice storms we suffered this winter, leaving people without power for over a week in some areas.  Now tell me, why in the WORLD would people want to re-elect the man who did this??

No comments:

Post a Comment