Monday, May 4, 2009

Network News v. the Daily Show

On Friday, I watched both the network news on NBC at 6:30 and the Daily Show at 11.  I have a few notes on what each show talked about, but I think that it is impossible to compare the two programs.  I think that what Jon Stewart says about his show is very true: people cannot use it as their main news source, it is only meant for comedic purposes and views must have some sort of knowledge about what is going on before watching it.  Anyone who uses the Daily Show as a primary news source is out of their mind.  How could you even get the jokes without knowing the story?  And as for the network news, it is a joke.  I already did the blog post on the coverage, in which I also used NBC, and it is pathetic the amount of time that is spent on insignificant stories.  I do not think that the network news really serves as a much better news source than the Daily Show.

Before taking this class, I watched the news on NBC every night.  I still do, but the difference is that now I think I am just watching it out of habit.  I depend much more on the internet for my news than I ever have before.  I go around to a variety of different sites to get different views of what is going on.

No comments:

Post a Comment